- Note to class
- Ana-Paula Quote
- Fitzpatrick Book Reference
- Definitions of ‘Evaluation’ by Various Resources
- Google Definition of Evaluation
- Wikipedia Definition of Evaluation
- University of North Carolina Greensboro Evaluation Resources
- Handbook of Human Performance Technology
- Discussion Questions and Response
- Question 1. How does Fitzpatrick, Sanders & Worthen (2011) define “evaluation”?
- Question 1. How does Kirkpatrick (1998) define “evaluation”?
- Question 1. How does Newby (1992) define “evaluation”?
- Question 2. What are the differences and similarities in the meanings, contexts and scopes of their definitions?
I’m looking forward to reading everyone’s thoughts on the definition of evaluation, thoughts on the required reading, and how they might be using these in real life.
I highlighted pages 7 and 9 of Fitzpatrick, J., Sanders, J. & Worthen, B. (2011). Program Evaluation: Alternative Approaches and Practical Guidelines (4th ed.). They seem to define the word evaluation for the book. The book includes the dictionary definition, a research definition, and a methods-based definition for evaluators with external stakeholders.
Definitions of ‘Evaluation’ by Various Resources
Discussion Questions and Response
Additional discussion points
This book was last published in 2011. It is five years old, and was published four years after the first iPhone. All of the information related to the terms evaluation are still very relevant and valid, except perhaps the perception that evaluation is undefined, it may be disagreed upon, but based on my brief research for this discussion board it appears to be thoroughly discussed, referenced, and defined in multiple formats for various types of work and methodologies. I wonder what the authors would say about modern evaluation methodology and its influence on stakeholders.
- Wikipedia (2016), Evaluation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaluation
- Rutgers, New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station (2016). Program Evaluation Resources: Conducting Needs Assessments. http://njaes.rutgers.edu/evaluation/resources/needs-assessment.asp
- Google (2016), Define Evaluation. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=define%20evaluation
- Fitzpatrick, J., Sanders, J. & Worthen, B. (2011). Program Evaluation: Alternative Approaches and Practical Guidelines (4th ed.), Chapter 1. New York: Pearson.
- The University of North Carolina Greensboro (2016). Program Evaluation Resource Center. Overview of Program Evaluation. http://erm.uncg.edu/oaers/methodology-resources/program-evaluation/
- Newby, A.C. (1992). Training Evaluation Handbook, London: Gower.
- Mark Spilsbury (1995). Measuring the Effectiveness of Training.
- Pulley (1994). Continuous Professional Development in Social Work, Responsive Evaluation (page 191). Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Dale Shunk, Barry J. Zimmerman (1998). Self Regulated Learning From Teaching to Self-Reflective Practive. The Guilford Press.
- Harold Stolovitch, Erica Keeps, James Pershing (2006). Handbook of Human Performance Technology. (3rd Edition). Pfeiffer.
- Peggy A. Ertmer, Timothy J. Newby (1996). Purdue University. The expert learner: Strategic, self-regulated, and reflective. Kluwer Academic Publishers. http://www.brown.edu/about/administration/sheridan-center/sites/brown.edu.about.administration.sheridan-center/files/uploads/ErtmerNewby1996_0.pdf
- Kirkpatrick, D. (1998). Evaluating Training Programs: The Four Levels (2nd ed). San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler (pages 19-24). http://ift.tt/1RWXTdq
- Newby (1992). Training Evaluation Handbook: chapters 1-2. http://ift.tt/1OAsVDC
via Blogger http://ift.tt/1RWXV55